Suzuki’s contract ends in 2026, but the company is expected to leave MotoGP at the end of the current season.
Japanese car giant Suzuki have confirmed their plans for an early exit from MotoGP at the end of this season, four years before the end of their contract, AFP reports. The automaker said on Wednesday it had reached an agreement with championship promoters Dorna to leave MotoGP at the end of this season. Suzuki’s current deal with MotoGP started in 2015 and was due to end in 2026. However, earlier this year in May the company revealed its intention to leave MotoGP for financial reasons. Also on Wednesday, Suzuki cited the same reason behind its decision to quit MotoGP.
(Also Read: Ducati Rolls Out 2023 Panigale V4 With Electronic Update)
Speaking about the decision, Suzuki Representative Director and President Toshihiro Suzuki said motorcycle racing has always been a difficult place for technological innovation, including sustainability and human resource development. “This decision means that we will take up the challenge of building the new motorcycle business operation by redirecting the technological capabilities and human resources we have cultivated through the motorcycle racing business to explore other avenues for a sustainable society.” , he added.
This is not the first time that Suzuki has ended its appointment with MotoGP. The company previously left motorsport at the end of 2011, before returning to the arena in 2015. Since returning to MotoGP seven years ago, the company has won the 2020 riders’ title. In the 500cc segment , Suzuki has won several world victories. securities. It is uncertain whether Suzuki will re-enter MotoGP after 2026 when the current format is expected to be overhauled.
Date of first publication: Jul 13, 2022, 6:52 PM IST